25 June – 3 July 2022
Te Tatauranga o ngā Manu Māra o Aotearoa – The New Zealand Garden Bird Survey
Make our birds count
We need you to help make a difference
Healthy bird populations can indicate that the environment is healthy. We know lots about endangered native birds in the bush, but we don’t always know what’s happening in the populations of all the birds around us, particularly in urban and garden environments.
That’s why we need you to help us count them.
What we learn from information about the birds in your garden collected by you and your fellow citizen scientists helps our researchers make decisions to protect our environment. It also tells us if what we are doing in areas such as predator control is working.
What to do
- Survey dates: 25th June – 3rd July
- Select your garden, park, or school
- Choose one day from 25th June to the 3rd July 2022
- Look and listen for birds for ONE hour.
- Record the HIGHEST number of a bird species observed at one time.
- Submit your survey results below.